What's new
What's new

Landlords and snow

First, you are in a very different legal situation than I, but here is what happened (is still happening) to me.
November 17, 2013 we had an F-2 tornado cross our property and took a large section of roof off my shop. This is a home shop, not on commercial property, so personal home owners insurance.
It took almost 2 months to get the check from the insurance company, to the bank, who required it go into escrow, then to the contractor. We all know how the winter has been, so the contractor did finally get the roof rebuilt on the shop, but we still have a large section of shingles missing off the house since we can't roof in the snow.
The real burn is the insurance company and mortgage holder both require the property owner to do whatever necessary to prevent further damage.
When dealing with the mortgage company about the delay with escrow she told me it was my responsibility to tarp the roof if necessary.... I told her we couldn't tarp the shop roof because there was a 30X30 section MISSING! Not shingles missing, entire roof structure missing. They don't care, it is their way out!
My .02.... As soon as the police let you in there get your stuff! And, prepare for a battle. If the building was not up to code the insurance company may have a clause that gets them out. This could be a legal battle between you shop renters and the landlord. Hopefully it goes well!
I had a friend who had an embroidery business in his garage, it burned, insurance did not cover it because it was a "business" and his homeowners insurance wouldn't cover it.
Insurance sucks, they always seem to have an "out", and it is expensive... But times like this are a reminder to have a good policy with a good agent.
Best of luck to you!

Insurance sucks, they always seem to have an "out", and it is expensive... But times like this are a reminder to have a good policy with a good agent.
Best of luck to you!
It's all about the "fine print" in a policy that is put there by the insurance company lawyers to give them an out when ever possible for them to deny a claim.
Really sorry to hear about your misfortune, glad there was no one hurt.
I really liked the suggestion of quickly renting a trailer and getting tooling protected from the elements and covered with some kind preservative to mitigate damage as much as possible. Even if your machines aren't damaged, if the tooling can't be used, neither can the machines.

Best of luck to you, please keep up posted of you situation.
Tim

Years ago I owned a Bar-B-Q joint in Houston.. It was located in a large strip center and I had renters insurance and business interruption insurance.

One night a water bed store 3 units down from our unit had a major fire ( highly suspicious!) and forced the close of our restaurant until it was cleaned and reinspected..

We ended up throwing away all food supplies, beer and anything that could be consumed. Keep in mind we only had smoke damage, no fire or water damage. We also ended up tearing out 4000 square feet of ceiling tiles and insulation, painting the tracks and replacing the tiles and insulation. All in all a huge job to get us back open.. My staff and I worked almost nonstop for 5 days in order to open as fast as possible...

The point of this story is to highlight a little know insurance rule. You can not profit from an insurance loss. That means all the work I did for that week was for FREE! The insurance company paid for the direct losses, food and materials but refused to pay for any of the labor because of that stupid rule, or law, I don't remember.

I could have had a week off, saved a lot of labor money and just gone fishing while letting Serve Pro clean up the mess .

I would talk to a lawyer and a water damage recovery company before you touch anything!

Sorry your having to deal with this, Good Luck

Update:

The local PD has been absolutely terrific with keeping scavengers away, stepping up patrols at the industrial park.
The idea of peeling back the building in small sections is a good one and I have suggested that to my neighbors who are in agreement.

The landlord is VERY nervous. He should be.
The local building inspector shut down the other two buildings for inspections.

That sucks, I hope everything goes well for you and your lucky nobody was hurt. Or injured for that matter.

That reminds me, drove past a shop (wood pole construction) on Sunday...4 guys up on shingled roof, shoveling.
(it had past bad history, fell down during construction...)

Yours looks different, many times I see only one bay goes down. some roof girts break,
the roof caves in one spot. Yours looks like the frames racked as well.

Worst time is spring with full snow load on roof, warms up fast, and then it rains.....

Any updates? I see the location you show has warm weather and rain in the forecast. Hopefully you can protect your tools and machines from the moisture. Best of luck.

Shop Update:

Well, the landlord finally caved and hired a professional disaster recovery firm to come to the site.
They will be peeling back the roof, unit by unit.

It looks like they want to start on Friday, so I'll have to move fast.

The attorneys have been notified and are already prepping paperwork.

Good luck, hopefully most of your stuff will be ok. You guys are going to be standing around your pickups drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes like expectant fathers while each piece comes off...:D

Charles

X Trucks
Y Trailers (not to exceed X)
Forty-leven Tarps
Oodles of tarp straps
20+ 2" wide ratchet straps (some should be the 20'ers)
3 Chumms with strong backs
12 cases of LPS3
Make that 24 cases!

1 or more empty self storage units.
With heat all-the-better!
Cherry (;)) picker at a min.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Good luck, hopefully most of your stuff will be ok. You guys are going to be standing around your pickups drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes like expectant fathers while each piece comes off...:D

Charles

That's EXACTLY how it looks. Fortunately, a pal is watching for me so I could get to my other job on time.

X Trucks
Y Trailers (not to exceed X)
Forty-leven Tarps
Oodles of tarp straps
20+ 2" wide ratchet straps (some should be the 20'ers)
3 Chumms with strong backs
12 cases of LPS3
Make that 24 cases!

1 or more empty self storage units.
With heat all-the-better!
Cherry (;)) picker at a min.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox knows!! Oh yeah!

I'll be happy to throw you $1 per picture up to $20 of the recovery process. A video or two might be easier to upload to Youtube. It isn't BIG money but what the heck it does buy a few coffees and donuts and who knows others might pitch in and it might transform donuts into steak dinner.

But we want pictures!! Love pictures! :)

Sounds like your going to need to cover "acreage"
with the lps3.

Might be cheaper to buy the lps3 in the bucket
and get a couple of cheap pump up pest sprayers.

Home Depot sells them in a 2 pack for spraying deck stain/sealer.

I find the "blue tarps" shred a bit too easily. I like 6 mil black plastic,
it will handle sharp corners better, and lot's of flapping from wind.

Wrap it with the industrial saran wrap to hold it on.

Years ago I owned a Bar-B-Q joint in Houston.. It was located in a large strip center and I had renters insurance and business interruption insurance.

One night a water bed store 3 units down from our unit had a major fire ( highly suspicious!) and forced the close of our restaurant until it was cleaned and reinspected..

We ended up throwing away all food supplies, beer and anything that could be consumed. Keep in mind we only had smoke damage, no fire or water damage. We also ended up tearing out 4000 square feet of ceiling tiles and insulation, painting the tracks and replacing the tiles and insulation. All in all a huge job to get us back open.. My staff and I worked almost nonstop for 5 days in order to open as fast as possible...

The point of this story is to highlight a little know insurance rule. You can not profit from an insurance loss. That means all the work I did for that week was for FREE! The insurance company paid for the direct losses, food and materials but refused to pay for any of the labor because of that stupid rule, or law, I don't remember.

I could have had a week off, saved a lot of labor money and just gone fishing while letting Serve Pro clean up the mess .

I would talk to a lawyer and a water damage recovery company before you touch anything!

Sorry your having to deal with this, Good Luck

First and foremost, sorry you have to deal with this, glad nobody is hurt...other then in the pocket.

Sometimes you have to figure which big picture you want to shoot for...

--Do whatever it takes to get back up and running ASAP and then worry about being compensated for whatever you can get.

--Get as much compensation as possible and try to get up and running.

Lost my house to Sandy last year...
First thing we did was call insurance company.
Then we pulled out whatever was salvageable or almost salvageable and put into storage deciding to figure that out later.
Then we found a new place to live till it all got figured out.
Then we had a Demo Crew come in gut entire inside to studs and had a mold remediation crew come in.

We tried to move forward with life as we waited for the insurance adjusters, the offers, the settlements, our lawyer got involved...more offers and adjusters, after a year and a half we are resolved.

Some did make shift repairs to sections of home while waiting on insurance...now they have to deal with mold issues on top of the original problems...which will not be picked up by insurance.

Some revamped entire homes immediately with hope insurance would cover. Some did cover...some did not and now they are in a financial mess.

We followed the direction of save what can be saved, don't let house get worse then it is and move forward as if absolutely no Insurance coverage would be paid out. If we received insurance monies...great, if not we would fight for them...but not let that stop us from moving forward.

So as many have mentioned...,and my .02...save what can be salvaged and get to getting up and running again as soon as possible in whatever capacity you can, even if you have to move into a friends shop for awhile...life isn't going to wait for you.

Deal with recouping your loss from landlord and insurance, of course. But I would not wait on that to move forward.

Best of luck to you!
Best of luck.

When these buildings were built, energy management was far from the primary concern, and the waste heat from the building helped clear the snow from the roof. With higher energy costs, and often added insulation and lower interior temperatures, roof loads have been increasing - as you have seen

I'm impressed that they're moving that quick on it, good.

Make sure the next building is built a little stronger an extra insured eh.

Sure would like to see a few pics.

Back