What's new
What's new

Leitz Optical Rotary Table

rimcanyon

Diamond
This thread is for Leitz optical rotary table info, pics, descriptions, etc.

I will start it with a description of the 20” optical rotary table that came with my Peterson drill press.

IMG_0368.jpeg

The lever operates a pair of hydraulic cylinders that either lift the table or lock it, not sure which, but in the position shown the table is free to rotate. The center bolt for the lever is actually the fill port for hydraulic fluid. The top button on the left turns on the light for the optics. Below it is a fuse. The crank on the right advances the table 2 deg. per revolution. The small knob on the crank wheel is for fine feed. The optics in the center read to 1 arc second.

IMG_3586.jpeg
The bottom of the table. Both hydraulic cylinders can be accessed. The oil reservoir for the worm and ring gear is at the bottom.

IMG_3587.jpeg
One hydraulic cylinder.

IMG_3589.jpeg

Oil filler, drain and sight glass. I am not sure what weight oil to use, but it feels like 75-90W transmission oil.

IMG_3594.jpeg
The small black plug on the right locks the screw assembly in place and adjusts lateral play in the screw (the plug is retained with a center screw that has a small lever, not shown). The assembly body is eccentric, so rotate it to adjust free play of the worm and ring gear.

IMG_3596.jpeg

The worm is about 2” diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_3591.jpeg
    IMG_3591.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I have an Eimeldingen S315 tilting rotary table with Leitz optical read-out on both axes. Would it be interesting to put some information in this thread?

Attached a brochure, I guess from the seventies. I recently bought the S315, that’s around 12” and have yet to find a spot in the ‘shop’ (garage) for it. Other than operating the worms and locking leverage, I haven’t operated it.

According to the seller it was used for measuring only. Certainly looks in great condition. It’s not even dirty.

I’ll share some pictures when it has found its place.

Any specific questions?

Attachments

• eimeldingen.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Put it on the bench today. According the manual it’s 250 kg. It is very solidly built.IMG_5449.jpeg
There is a locking lever and a positioning hand wheel for each axis.

Both axes have an optical read-out. Rotary table read-out shown.
IMG_5450.jpeg
When the hand wheel is turned, the degree marks (now visible: 226 and 227) go by from left to right. At each full degree mark, there is a vertical line below it. The circle with two triangles below 226, positioned around the vertical line, can be moved left and right by the graduated wheel just below the Leitz box. Then also the minutes and seconds indicator on the right zoom by vertically.

I guess one can read the current position by turning the graduated wheel until the vertical line is centered between the triangles, at which moment the minutes and seconds can be read. When setting an angular position, one can set the minutes and seconds and then turn the rotary table until the vertical line at the degree mark is bracketed by the triangles. Correct?

Last edited:
The rotary table handwheel can be engaged and disengaged by turning the secondary knurled ring.
IMG_5453.jpeg
The end stop is provided by an eccentric bushing. There is another little lever, don’t know what it does.
IMG_5452.jpeg

3C707DBE-FE2C-4D4F-A4AA-1D0083197C10.jpeg
As a first test, the TIR at the centre MK4 cone was measured. This is about 3 micron, and a 1 micron change is noticeable when the direction of turning of the hand wheel is reversed.

image.jpgSecond, I repeatedly positioned the rotary table so that the dial indicator read zero and subsequently read the angular position. The values are within 5 arc seconds. I believe most of the spread comes from positioning the triangles around the degree line, there is probably a 2 to 3 arc second range I would consider centered.

Back