What's new
What's new

OT - Are the Rockies passable during January?

How do you get your truck & trailer off the "Aland Islands"...?
I use DHL...lol
9295ffc6401ca135577f1bb04af5259e.jpg

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

I’ve got a good story of travels during the winter months. December 2010 I decide I want to buy myself a new car. I had been drooling over a cadillac xlr v since they had come out in 04. We’ll my time had come I found one only 3k on the odometer everything I wanted. So I called the dealer had them hold the car. The wife and I flew out to Portland Oregon on 20th of dec. The salesman picked us up at the airport I inspected the car wham bam the fella is filling out the temporary tags. He says what’s your plans. I said grab something to eat and head back to Chicago. He says have you checked the highways for restrictions through the passage? I said what do you mean. He follows by telling me about the passage and if the lights are blinking and you don’t have 4wd or tire chains the troopers will pull you over and that I’d need them. If the gate is down you literally turn around and drive back to town. I being totally clueless to the whole wrench in my plans said buddy their is no way I’m putting tire chains on my new car. He said well if theirs restrictions your gonna have to go through Cali and take the southern route. That like doubled the mileage back home. I ask him to check for any restrictions which their were none. The wife and I jumped in the car and started the journey. We drove the whole night and luckily didn’t hit any snow. It was luckily a mild winter that year we saw little snow the whole 1800 mile 2day trip. The worst part was that part of the country kind of shuts down in the winter months so tourist attraction were slim. The most beautiful driving I’ve done in my fourty years. Looking back I was so naive and had my horse blinders on but it couldn’t have went smoother. And I still have her. Good luck on your travel.

Thanks all. I'll probably chicken out and use a transport company. The sad fact is...there's little cost savings once the cost of fuel and wear/tear on the truck comes in to play. For the record, I live in Houston but would be dragging a car there, then picking up another one in Sacramento on the way back.

As for a gas engine being taxed, it's a V10 Ford so I'd be surprised but my experience is zero....

If it's a non-turbo, be prepared for a 30%-ish loss of power compared to Houston. Air pressure at 9000' is 71% of that at sea level, and frictional losses will be a higher percentage of the power the engine does make. Interesting reference here: https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7edaedb-95b2-438f-adfb-36de54f87b9e.pdf

I am near sea level and don't leave he lowland often and was wondering what happens with fuel mileage in high altitude? I know the power will drop off in rough relation to the amount of available air (oxygen) but does the mileage do the same. I would think the MPG would drop due to having to use way more pedal to get the same power, so the altitude does not directly cause a drop in MPG like it does a drop in power. Is this right?

If it's a non-turbo, be prepared for a 30%-ish loss of power compared to Houston. Air pressure at 9000' is 71% of that at sea level, and frictional losses will be a higher percentage of the power the engine does make. Interesting reference here: https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7edaedb-95b2-438f-adfb-36de54f87b9e.pdf

Yup. Leaning the mixture is "standard" on light aircraft as you climb.

50-state/California-compliant-included 1979 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC Gen 3 360 V8 had a 2 BBL carb that actually owned a de facto THIRD barrel with a small Aneroid barometer attached. That third barrel had no fuel jets.

Wished-for purpose was for the barometer to automagically lean for high altitude by adding bypass air.

"Wished-for" because it wasn't reliably compensated for w/r to underhood heat delta. Highest point it ever saw "back east" wasn't even 3,000 ft ASL, 1800 was rare and sub FIVE HUNDRED feet ASL the general rule. Serious PITA!

Off it came, weird manifold and all, in favor of a proper 4 BBL double-pumper on an AMC Javelin/Matador manifold. My one never saw the West coast ranges anyway,lower Eastern ranges only seldom, so BFD.

Fast-forward to present-day.

Folks -the altitude gradient can rob power, yes. Less Oxygen is less Oxygen.

But with just about EVERYTHING using 'puters reading mass-air-flow sensors, and adjusting fuel injection it is simply NOT the issue it was with crab-you-later's.

Vehicle is going to do the best it can. It is at least no longer going to appear to be burning Bunker C, Bituminous coal, nor ejecting #2 Diesel out the 'sost pipe in still-sealed 55 gal drums.

IME, fuel mileage is about the same at altitude, but its difficult to separate the effects of altitude from the constant uphill and downhill driving. You never recover on the way down everything you put into the uphill climb. You have to use your brakes a lot more, so that is a fuel waster as well. There is less aerodynamic drag due to the lower barometric pressure, about 1% per 1,000' elevation.

Also, the gas sold at higher altitudes has a lower octane rating so that introduces another variable.

Triaxle t800 wide hood...good choice, 3406e under the hood? :)
I owned a truck with a 3406e in it. Had a friend reprogram the ECM. It would fly up 6% grades easly. Took ot in for an overhead 2 years later, the mechanic over adjusted...it sucked both exhaust valves on number 5. 2 weeks later it comes out of the shop; new head, new intercooler, new turbo...and was absolutely gutless. I asked the shop what happened. They told me they were required by EPA to reset the ECM to factory! Wanted $2,200 to put it back they way it was.

But no 3406e in a that heavy haul. 3408 Marine Duty...800hp! Married to a Eato 18 speed...on we go.

In 1982. Driving a 79 280zx in April I tried going through on 40. I left a small town in a valley. I went up the mountain and just barely got my car turned around. Two guys that seen me leave said they were wondering where I was going. I asked for the easiest route south. I followed their directions. Talk to the locals. They know whats going on.

Shouldn't one just plan that there may be a storm and you have to bed down for a few nights?
Are people saying that some routes are never cleared or easily traveled until spring?
If he went up 395 he could wait at Tioga Pass until May or June.

At least there's a couple of motels at the foot that have cheap rates during winter ... and the waterfalls would be great when he finally got through :D

Looking at a drive to Portland from Houston next month, F250 RWD truck pulling a 8000lbs. loaded trailer. I've never driven through the Rockies in the cold before...so my question is, are the highways kept in passable condition? Or would I be asking for trouble? The truck is not 4WD nor does it have a limited slip rear so it's not a great poor weather vehicle re: traction.
I will be near Corpus Christi, unloading Saturday or Monday. Trailer is an RGN (detachable double drop).

If you are looking to put "whatever" on a Transport, follow up this reply and we will discus the rate this truck gets. I could possibly consider your freight as a partial LTL Rate, if there is not an expidited hurry.

Must let me know by Friday end or Saturday end, before I comit to another load.

Cheers.

Back