What's new
What's new

Trying to buy my first real VMC...

Jesse_92683

Plastic
Hello,

I’m in a bit of a conundrum. I have some cash and I want a new garage toy.... I know, such a first world problem. I’m hoping this awesome community can help me decide what to get, but first, a little about me.

I’m a bit of a younging, as I only have 2 grey hairs in my beard but I had been hooked on this machining thing since I bought my first hobby lathe 3 years ago (a craftsman build back when dinosaurs rules the lands). Since then I have got a tormach 770 which I know some people will scoff at but I actually love the machine. It has its limits and machining anything other that 6061 is a pain but for the price and the fact that It has paid for its self 2-3 times over and I haven’t even owned it for a year yet. But I want something bigger and better (my biggest complaint with my tormach is the tiny matching envelope of 14”x7.5”).

I’m pretty much looking at 2 VMC’s right now. A 2007 Sharp 2412s that comes with a chip conveyor, 24 cat 40 tools and 2 nice 6” vices. The guy wants $27k and it’s only 60 miles away from me.

The other is a 2004 Fadal VMC4020HT. The guy is in Oregon and wants $14,500 for the machine and he said he would pay for shipping it to Utah (which makes me feel like it’s a bit of a scam as it seems too good to be true).

I love the reviews of the sharp and that it has a newer controller but it costs more and I don’t like it’s smaller machine envelope.

All I know is I want a big boy VMC.... any and all advice is welcomed!

Also, the Fadal only has 422k of “expanded memory” buty last few cam files where about 2-5 mb (a lot of 0.002” WOC ball mill stuff). Can I easily upgrade the memory?

Also, the Fadal only has 422k of “expanded memory” buty last few cam files where about 2-5 mb (a lot of 0.002” WOC ball mill stuff). Can I easily upgrade the memory?

It's easy to use DNC on a Fadal, so if the program is larger than the 422k memory it's not a problem

the sharp is WAY over priced ,,, there really nice machines but thats the old model 2412 so it would be made by First ... same builder that makes all the kent, Webb, etc machines in the 2414 size ,,, Sharp is building there own machines the last few years ... and I dont think the stock Fanuc control has the file size to run your programs unless you drip feed it ...

the Fadal is going to be big and slow and more machine than you would need I would think ...

I would say find a 2008 or newer Haas or a Fadal VMC15 or vmc15XT

FYI the chip conveyor is not good for small chips ,,they just stick to the belt and get washed off in the tank.. better to just clean the out of the machine than the tank.

I have a 2002 Fadal vmc15 with a VM-65 4th axis , I have a larger card for it but never put it in ,, I think its a 2MB ... The mill came out of Bates technical school and had like 360 spindle hours on it when I got it 7 or 8 years ago. I needed the 4th axis for a product I was building and ran it a couple days a month tell 3 years ago and have just been using it for second ops parts. With tooling and 4th axis I would like to get $18K for it...

I`m up by seattle are but there easy to move with a car trailer and a pickup.

That is very interesting. Can you PM me your email address or phone number. I do have a pickup truck and my wife would love an excuse to visit Seattle.

Watch the controller options on the Sharp, and make sure you get what you think you are. 0i B, C, or 0i-Mate... what look-ahead, etc. It'd be nice to have some more travel but they are capable machines. If it has either a PC card slot in the back or a USB drive, you can DNC from either without issues.

But I want something bigger and better (my biggest complaint with my tormach is the tiny matching envelope of 14”x7.5”).

I'm not too certain the Fadal will be that much of a step up other than envelope size.
I know nothing about the Sharp machines.
What is your max budget that you're wanting to spend? Like said above, maybe look for a newer Haas?
Or wait until a really good buy comes along, they do happen and sometimes are a steal.

What is your max budget that you're wanting to spend? Like said above, maybe look for a newer Haas?
Or wait until a really good buy comes along, they do happen and sometimes are a steal.
I have been looking and so far only 5 machines have gone up for sale in my state over that last 5 months and this is the newest one in my price range. My budget is no super high too. I’m selling my home in a few weeks and hope to get 25k from it (only had it a few years until it’s shop got too cramped and I needed a bigger one).

I don’t think I could swing a haas that is newer than 2005-ish

Haas older than about 2008 has the cold fire I control that is not being supported anymore ,,, the "ONLY" fix for one is about 15K in parts and then paying to have it installed and even then the control is not the new one ...

Just in case this would help.

I have been using a Kent TW32TRH (mid-2000, O-MD control, no toolchanger) that has been a good machine. I am replacing it with a similar new Kent mill with the same basic layout but with tool changer and Oi-MF control.

I had the spindle professionally rebuilt about two years ago. It is a bed mill with a proper Z-axis and the open style table which I prefer for prototype use.

I am in Portland, Oregon and, as you say, there are not many machine tools for sale in the NW.

I will need to use this machine for perhaps two months before the replacement is delivered but if you want to check this machine out before I put it on public sale PM me.

Not trying to be a d***, but if your looking for a mill and you want to be productive it has to be enclosed, and it has to have an ATC.

I have a VMC without an ATC (Makino RMC55) while it's a great machine, not having an ATC limits it's usefullness. I have a fadal, I close the doors, press start and walkaway. Cant do that with the Makino if using more than 1 tool.

I'm not too certain the Fadal will be that much of a step up other than envelope size.
I know nothing about the Sharp machines.

Fadal is a big step up from a Tormach the controler is way more reliable.
having owned both a Tormach and a Fadal VMC40 first hand experience not hear say.
If you have the room a 4020 is good but it will take up half a 2 car garage
to have the room needed to get around the machine for maintenance and what not.
and you can get them under a standard garage door header.
IMG_0533.jpg

price wise that one for 14k is about a fair price.

now for a tight space I would think hard about one of the Brother speedsters

Back