What's new
What's new

VF-2SS X axis power up

BBerney

Plastic
I have a 2021 VF-2SSYT. On startup, the X axis drives against the hard stop often for as long as 30 seconds. The Y axis doesn’t do this, and it seems like the X axis didn’t take this long originally. I feel like this isn’t how the home routine is supposed to work, but I don’t have a machine to compare to.

Is it normal for an axis to drive against a hard stop for an extended time during power up?

Is it possible that a sensor, or maybe a slip clutch, needs to be adjusted?

I don’t know how the control system is finding home, but two ways could be a physical home sensor, or drive against a hard stop and look for a torque peak in the motor controller. I’m guessing the latter, but maybe they are doing something different. Any clues are appreciated.

Good info. I’ll check the X-axis proximity sensor next week and report back.

So I opened the way cover yesterday and had a look. Everything was clean inside and no obvious problems. The sensor actuates properly to metal. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to observe the sensor with the table moved to the home position without taking off a bunch more covers, and I ran out of time.

If this keeps happening, I’ll likely set up a service call. Thanks for the tips :-)

A year later I finally discovered what this startup noise is. I am embarrassed to say what thought was one of the axes driving against a hard stop (which probably isn’t even possible) is in fact the SMTC homing. It doesn’t happen every time, since occasionally the tool carousel will be near home at startup, but now it makes total sense.

This noise probably isn’t something anyone else would be concerned about, but I thought I would update just in case someone went searching.

Happy trails!

Back