What's new
What's new

Urgent! Cnc mill down fanuc om control need help

earthstore88

Aluminum
I have a 199x Yamage SMV 800 - ever heard of that - with a Fanuc OM control? Anyhow, machine stopped in the middle of .500 ipm drilling cycle cut with HSCO step drill during a production run of super hot parts. Machine display showed the following message with control power down so I was unable to enter MDI mode:

OPERATOR MESSAGE 2011
M6 ERROR, MDI MODE INPUT (M53)

Furthermore program was not in a tool change but in mid cut as I mentioned above. Way lube is good, Hydraulic oil is good, no airlines are leaking or blown out and I just changed the batteries. I have no idea what the hell to do and I have a lot of hot parts that need to get on this machine immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated the heartless vultures are standing on the waysides.

At least current job I'm able to move to the good all Tree. But I got about ten billion holes to drill on the next two jobs, which amounts to slave labor on the Tree.

So - you were able to jog back out of the hole?

Were you able to put back into AUTO and restart the prog?

Or are you getting constant erros at this point?

Does your machine have a chain type tool storage setup?
Was there a T____ called recently before this cut?
Any chance the chain got jammed up, or more likely a prox needs adjusted?

That doesn't 100% rationalize the M6, but it would seem a place to look anyhow.

???

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Wasn't able to jog out or rerun program, screens was on but control panel was dead - when I turn machine off and power back up get the same error I posted in OP.

Was indexing and had to move indexer carefully out which luckily left the workpieces floating in the air, so I was able to slide part off of drill and take the drill out of the holder.

-Machine has a tool 24 tool circular carriage, servo driven.
-Was in the middle of drilling no T___ call near by tool call was about 20 lines up from the block were this happened, one tool operation too.

Manual indexer I take it?

If the control is locked up - "That's a Toughy".... :willy_nilly:

You may be stuck with calling Fanuc on that...

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OPERATOR MESSAGE 2011

This is a MTB's message, it doesn'tcome from the Fanuc side. My guess is that a proximity switch has changed state, or failed. Change in state of a proximity switch is always a possibility if they happen to be adjusted close to their switch point, and well designed PLC programs are arranged so that switches fail safe.

If you still have the maintenance manual for the machine, you should have a list of the PLC real input addresses and a hard copy of the PLC Ladder. I would be finding the rung that contains the error coil and trace back from there to determine the address and state of the various real inputs that make the rung test true. Once found, locate the same switches on the machine and compare.

Proximity switches for the tool changer and magazine are often inductive type and can be checked by placing a piece of metal in close proximity to the face of the switch and observing that its state changes. Most have a small LED for this purpose). This is best done with the emergency stop switch activated. There should still be power to the switches with the machine in an emergency stop condition, and this will ensure that changing the state of the switch doesn't cause an unexpected movement of part of the machine.

PS.
I was typing when you posted your Post #3. On your latest description the following may be relevant. The control will have a 24v DC power supply contained in the control cabinet. Its a Fanuc product, not sure of the part number off hand, but its usually well described by the labeling thereon. Find that and test with a multi meter.

Regards,

Bill

Actually only the collet open/close is a manual pneumatic switch. was able to unclamp part and slide the indexer over.

Some other details:

Cover on RS-232 cable going into switch box for receiving program or commanding indexer had kind of broken apart before I started this run and was going to wait till it was done to fix it. Could this have caused a short?

Also, light with burnt out bulb inside the machine was switched on. Could this have caused short?

Could this be a short?

Actually only the collet open/close is a manual pneumatic switch. was able to unclamp part and slide the indexer over.

Some other details:

Cover on RS-232 cable going into switch box for receiving program or commanding indexer had kind of broken apart before I started this run and was going to wait till it was done to fix it. Could this have caused a short?

Also, light with burnt out bulb inside the machine was switched on. Could this have caused short?

Could this be a short?
Burnt out bulb will have lost continuity, so no to that.

The voltage on the control pins of the DB25 connector is around 13v DC and 25v DC on pin 25. Even if they were to short, I believe damage would be restricted to the I/O board. RS232 devices are supposed to be designed to tolerate dead shorts to ground for an extended period. Accordingly, I think that its unlikely that the I/O connector is the cause. I would be checking that that you still have 24v.

Regards,

Bill

Look for the function of M53

OPERATOR MESSAGE 2011

A clue may be in the error itself. If it is a failed prox state causing the machine tool builder message then the device or action initiated or counteracted by M53 should be looked at. The tool change sequence on some machining centers can be stepped through one step at a time using the individual M codes assigned to each step.

For example if a vertical machine with a simple umbrella type changer were using M52 to advance the changer to the spindle and M53 to retract it to its resting position and the prox that detects that the changer is in the resting position has failed then the plc would error out with a tool change error because the changer is out of position. The alarm would advise an mdi input of M53 in this case for retracting the changer even though it is retracted. In this case the failed prox would not be telling the plc that it was retracted.

This scenario above is just an example and is not representative of the individual m code functions or changer on your particular machine. Try to determine what M53 is supposed to do to your machine. If that action appears to be in place then I would look for the detecting device that the plc uses to verify that it is so.

Bill Thanks for the help.

I have attached a picture bellow. I'm assuming the power supply is the first Fanuc box on the left side that say power supply. Were exactly do I check the voltage. Also spindle amplifier is flashing "--".

Attachments

• NCControl.jpg
    NCControl.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5,184
Actually thanks everyone,

OK, the power supply is the upper right hand corner, it also has power supply written on it. Anyhow, it has a bit of a funny fuse set-up, doesn't looked burnt out though. I have attached some more pics.

Attachments

• PowerSupply00.jpg
    PowerSupply00.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4,291
  • PowerSupply01.jpg
    PowerSupply01.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,440
hmm. Then again the upper right hand corner is a power unit. Well I'm looking into the M53 issue. The operation manual for this machine stinks, but luckily I have a ladder diagram and am looking for everyplace I can find M53. You know your different when digging into something like a ladder with little knowledge of it makes you happy, because you finally get to start learning how to deal with ladders. It's getting late over hear.

I'm suppose to make parts but I feel like I'm in training to be service tech. Just got a couple used Mazak's Iv'e been dealing with lately to add more to this situation. But at least with the Mazak's I can call them every hour. The Yamage situation different I have to call Japan directly and see what happens. Did it once, they actually got someone who spoke a bit of english to help me out.

Ok, found portion of ladder with describing the operator message 2011 M53 ERR. I have attached jpeg of the pdf, does anyone know what this means. Is the ATC4OK a prox switch check? Also, this happened in the cut not during tool change and there was no tool change ahead of this operation in the program.

Attachments

• 2011_M53_ERR copy.jpg
    2011_M53_ERR copy.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,021
Ok, found portion of ladder with describing the operator message 2011 M53 ERR. I have attached jpeg of the pdf, does anyone know what this means. Is the ATC4OK a prox switch check? Also, this happened in the cut not during tool change and there was no tool change ahead of this operation in the program.

As well as a copy of the Ladder program, you should have a list explaining what the various addresses used in the program refer to. Refer to that list for more information. There are no actual real world inputs shown in rung 00410, so you will have to trace back from there. If you do have the addresses list, look through the X addresses to find the proximity switches that are related to the tool changer then find them in the ladder.

You will note that rung 00410 can be made test true by the "OR" rung just below containing D541.1. That address also appears in rung 00409. Not all 0M controls have a viewable ladder, but there is a parameter that can be set to be able to view it on most. Post back if you can view the ladder on the control. If not, I'll check for the parameter number. If you can view the ladder, find rung 00410 and check what is holding the rung true. By using the hard copy to keep track of where you are and need to go, and the Ladder in the control, you will be able to trace back from rung 00410 to see what is initiating the error.

Regards,

Bill

gut says its in that tool drum
no confirmation of home location would be first suspect
you need to see if that signal is good or not in the diagnostic

Yea, I'd probably start with ATC4OK when tracing back. but you still have to have either D541.1 or Not Flag 161.2 and D540.1 to make the rung true.
It would make it faster to trace if the OP is able to pull the rung up real-time on the control and see which side of the OR it's coming through.

I have a fanuc 21i controlled vmc and when the toolchanger locks up the worst thing to do is to turn off the power. There is a way to get around the toolchanger error and jog everything back into position but when you loose power the spindle encoder losses position. Once this has happened you run into the problem of which comes first the chicken or egg. You cant jog the toolchanger because the spindle isnt orientated and you cant orientate the spindle because the toolchanger has an alarm.

Ask me how, I figured this out the hard way, twice...once by me and once by my operator.

You may have to manually release the toolchanger and get everything back into position and clear the faulty switch alarm, if that is what the problem originally was. Then you can restart the machine and recover.

Your machine tool builder should have instructions on how to clear this, but if you dont have all the manuals then...

Charles

Does G28 with a Z movement use this portion of the ladder of as a check for position? The tool changer is not stuck I've done that a couple of times. My Spindle is about a foot and a half above the table and two feet away from home position and the upper z prox switch.

Ok, I realized I can prob around the ladder and parameter diagnosis. The ladder diagram I posted isn't matching at the N00410 ladder location on the machine.:willy_nilly:

I am guessing that _ that red cap motor above the spindle in the pic runs the Z axis screw. (could be spindle motor tho from here)

If it is directly connected to the screw yuo aint gunna turn it with a wrench, but maybe if it is belt driven. (doubt it.)

There should be a small wire going in to the side of the motor maybe halfway down. If so - this would be the brake release. It needs to be energized to release the brake. This keeps the head from falling down when not powered.

If you have a counter balance set-up, then you may not have a brake.

If you don't have a brake, you may be able to lever the head up, with maybe a 2by or 4by. The higher pitch on the leadscrew the easier it will be to move this way. An older machine with .25" pitch don't move so easy, but a 10mm pitch will move much easier.

If you doo have a brake, then if you really needed to move the head, you would need to energize the brake manually. But be sure to have the head already blocked. A floor jack would be good. I don't know what V the brake is tho. (24vdc would be my first guess)

Not sure why you would need to move the head in this app for sure tho. ???

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back