What's new
What's new

Medical card for higher GVW- Where to get El Cheapo physical ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing as I have no current medical issues and couldn't care less about the quality of the exam in this case and insurance will not cover it... and ideas on how to get this done on the cheap ?

There are doctors offices that specialize in these DOT physicals. Often found around heavy industrial areas. I have even seen in the yellow pages doctors ads with DOT Physicals in bold print.

In an out in 20 mins. Glad I dont need to do that anymore...

I used to go in and get aviation physicals. I needed to to keep my pilot's license current, but also discovered that for what ever reason they were cheaper than "standard" PE's. I continued to do this long after I sold my plane just because it was a good PE and it was cheap.

Turn your head and COUGH!

Usually, the doctors that do the industrial and sports related BS physicals have you in and out in a few minutes. Turn your head and cough, take a deep breath, that kind of thing. Sometimes pee in a cup, IF the "physical" requires a drug screen (another way to invade our privacy). The DO go over your medical history sometimes, but the lower priced places seem to just want their $$$, and you out the door with the paperwork you need.

DOT physical is basically a joke. If you can walk into the office under your own power, you can probably pass one.

Takes 5 min and cost a $100.

Try a walk-in clinic.
Maybe ask a school bus driver or someone driving a county owned truck were they get theirs.

Wayne

Any doctor or even chiroprater can do one. You can download the form online just goggle dot physical. They are good for two years. My BP was a tad high so mine is only good for a year this time.

Milacron,

Finally getting a CDL? It's an easy, topical, and quick exam. I think my last one was about sixty bucks at an "occupational health" clinic. It's the kind of place that does drug tests, DOT physicals, and what else I'm really not sure. There is likely such a place around if you ask. I think my last one in 2007 was about sixty bucks.

Richard

DOT physical is basically a joke. If you can walk into the office under your own power, you can probably pass one.

This hardly inspires confidence. An 80,000lb vehicle going 75mph under the command of a guy with a weak heart and poor eyesight, and the folks who are supposed to be vigilant about this stuff are phoning it in. Yikes.

Jim

If you are going to drive a trk and trailer of combined weight of less than 26,000 lb all you need is a class D standard drivers liscense. If you are driving a privately owned non business vehicle you don't need a medical card. If you will drive a commercial business vehicle you will need a medical card.

If the 26,000 lb combined weight vehicle will not carry pasengers or hazardous materials you don't need a CDL, just a class D liscense.

Just went through all that crap to find out what I can and can't do and the type liscense I need.

Ask your doctor what he will charge to do the exam, it may be cheaper than you think because he knows your medical history. Get the form from your local drivers liscense dept.

If you are going to drive a trk and trailer of combined weight of less than 26,000 lb all you need is a class D standard drivers liscense. If you are driving a privately owned non business vehicle you don't need a medical card. If you will drive a commercial business vehicle you will need a medical card.
You need whatever the officer you encounter is in the mood to think you need. I figure it's like the US Customs guys...even if you are non business, they assume you are business.. no matter what you say. And of course I am business, even if I don't look it (dually and bumper pull trailer) And by "they" I mean the fretful folks north of the Mason Dixon line...no such problems "down here" in my experience.

Man, that's the truth, the cop on the side of the road is the king. If you carry a copy of the Federal DOT regs that shows them the rule for commercial under 26,000 lb combined weight only needs a class D and medical card there isn't much they can do but grumble and find another reason for a ticket :eek:.

Man, that's the truth, the cop on the side of the road is the king. If you carry a copy of the Federal DOT regs that shows them the rule for commercial under 26,000 lb combined weight only needs a class D and medical card there isn't much they can do but grumble and find another reason for a ticket :eek:.
Another issue I worry about "up there" is the fact that I don't have a liscense plate on my trailer. In SC you don't need one...but that's yet another "issue" that could come up regardless.....so the less "issues" the better...hence the card.

Ky has the same thing, no tag required for utility trailers. When you go out of state most states want to see a tag and will stop you if they don't see one. That's why I and my friend always tag our trailers.

Another thing they are now looking at is dually's with a trailer and no business name on the truck. Cops stoped us twice for that and ticketed for it both times. Also, if your running with a business name on the trk you need a drivers log and you have to stop at weight stations.

One cop told us they are cracking down on small time operators trying to get under the radar and avoiding the DOT regs, that is, legal freight trucking.

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton single or dually pulling a trailer out of state without a business name on the trk is fair game and will probably get pulled over.

Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton single or dually pulling a trailer out of state without a business name on the trk is fair game and will probably get pulled over.
:confused: I've been thru numerous states on the way to Canada and back, plus from NJ to here...with 5 to 6,000 lbs of machines in the back of the truck and never been pulled over....and have no "name" on the truck anywhere. Recently went to Maryland and back, this time with tag along trailer and 5,400 lb mill on it, and not pulled then either.

Sheesh, thanks for giving me yet another idiotic thing to worrry about.. :rolleyes5:...but I'm thinking you are just flat out wrong on that.

Having run my own truck with my own trailers, hauling my own items from mfg to retail location 1/2 way accross country...I know more about this subject than most DOT enforcement cops.

First off...the statement "You need whatever the officer you encounter is in the mood to think you need"...is the most truthfulll statement here, I will only add to that: Its also the rules and reg.s that the encountered officer knows about, and chooses to enforce. Half these guys don't know half the reg.s...plus, like a lot of laws, they are subject to the individual interpretation by the officer, which may be totally wrong.

Facts are (these are federal), for commercial use (they always assume you are commercial...its UP TO YOU to prove otherwise!):
-Any trailer GVW over 10k
-Any GCVWR (truck and trailer combined) over 26k
Both requires a CDL and a med card, plus DOT numbers on the tow vehicle, a fire ext, safety triangles.
If you travel out of state or more than 100 air miles from your place of business, you also need a log book....and if you don't have a sleeper DON'T put sleeper time, you will be parked for 8 hours (believe me)

So, even if you have a dually pickup WITHOUT a trailer, its over 10kgvw, you need all that crap just to drive it empty.

I used to live in New England...and YES they will pull you over in a heartbeat if you don't have letters on the truck, or a plate on the trailer (or any other excuse they can find)...after that they ask for paperwork (log book/med card)...then its a full inspection if you don't have either.

Hey, these are the laws...I have been through it many times covering 29 states...if you say it BS...its only because you have better luck or don't run as much as me...your day is coming. After a while you just take it as part of the game, be respectful when pulled over, don't push the "I had no idea' thing too much, and you will usually get a break.

Having said that...each state has different rules for scales, some states will chase you down if you pass them in a dually, some states will yell at you for entering the scales with a dually. Tie down procedure is also a touchy subject.

Bottom line: How much risk are you willing to take?
I know...your only going a short way, or you only do this a couple times a year, ect, ect. HOWEVER:
If you don't have the proper license, permit, paperwork, logbook, ect...and you get in a serious accident, your screwed, kiss it all goodbye, insurance won't do a thing for you. Lawyers love this stuff...if you are missing a single item, you are liable regardless of who is at fault.

Now want to get into axle weights and ratings that most people exceed??

Oh Wait....I digress....to answer the original question, I second the 'local clinic' for the best physical deal.

Sorry to ramble, only trying to help shed light.

Sorry, I fogot to add:
Also any truck with a gvw over 10k fits the above list also.
Basically, you can't haul much more than a Bridgeport in the back of a 3/4 ton pickup without being ' commercial ', anything else will put you under the commercial reg.s.

Well the good thing is, I just got out of a ticket that I got for pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs in PA.
If you didnt know the story, I got pulled over about 2 months ago, and got a ticket for no CDL, pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs GVW. Was a very hefty fine too.
BUT the good news.

They ended up throwing it out, the magestrate was very nice about it, I just told him that I tried to find the laws online and I thought I was legal, tried to do everything right and thought I was legal. I had asked him to explain the exact law to me and if I can get it in writing. They were not able to really show me anything in writing, and he said he sees my confusion so he let the ticket go.
I asked him well isn't the CDL Requirement a Federal Law, so how does it vary from state to state? He said it does not vary, it has to be the same everywhere, maybe just written differently. BUT he said road weights and things can be different state to state, so maybe that could fall under the under 26,000 GVW Part of it too.
I used this for a reference, http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8666_9060-56025--,00.html Read what it says on Paragraph A. I know its Michigan, but it is supposed to be a federal law. A CDL is federal, good all over the US so why should anything else be different?

He did say not to do it again though, but I told him it can be important, so if it IS legal, why should I not do it again? He said because they do not know for sure so don't do it. Thats dumb if you ask me.
I was also talking to a guy there that got a DUI in his Personal car, but has a CDL. He was at .05 or something, he said he only had 3 beers at dinner.

The cop took the law that says if you have a CDL, your DUI Limit is .04, not .08. But, its really only while driving a CDL Vehicle. If in your personal car, the .08 limit still applies, HOWEVER you still lose your CDL even if you get a DUI in your car, but the limit is still .08 in your car.
Anyway they threw his DUI Out, but he was suing them for the $200 in towing and impound expense because he was arrested for DUI even though he was not Legally DUI and they kept him at the station for a few hours and towed and impounded his car.

At least I am not the only one confused. Its pretty rediculous how bad things are and how the police really do not know the exact law and they can arrest you or ticket you as they please, but then you have to fight it if you are right, and there is no recourse on them if they are wrong.

Back