What's new
What's new

February is the month to fix hammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

3t3d

Diamond
A former member here, "superunknown" went on to youtube fame for his shop wit.

I understand that February is the best month to fix loose hammer handles, since it is typically the driest month.
If you fixed a hammer handle say in August, it might dry out and loosen next winter.
Also, you can soak the hammer head with the handle installed in anti freeze.
The anti freeze will not dry out, and the handle will stay tight in spite of dry weather.
BOY, does this work Well!
I had a few hammers that never would stay tight. Did this to them maybe 5 years ago.
They were loose for many decades and would never stay fixed.
So February is Hammer Time! (except for Africa, South America, and Australia)
You mileage may vary, packed by weight, not volume, some settling of contents may occur offer void where prohibited

I fixed my hammer head to the shaft with “ Araldite “ . It stayed tight for 30 years. Then I got an “ Estwing “ with a metal shaft. I used to repair all the sledge hammers in the shop when the shafts got broken. We had a lot of sledgehammers and I never had one were the head had come loose.

Regards Tyrone.

I fixed my hammer head to the shaft with “ Araldite “ . It stayed tight for 30 years. Then I got an “ Estwing “ with a metal shaft. I used to repair all the sledge hammers in the shop when the shafts got broken. We had a lot of sledgehammers and I never had one were the head had come loose.

Regards Tyrone.
Also,at first sign of looseness,just feed a little Loctite in !

This one has a high art of poetry.
Maybe my favorite one, about ticks in the north woods.

If your in the Northern hemisphere, then February is obviously a winter month and most would be using whatever heating system they have during the fall and winter. But it's got zero to due with the relative humidity outside. It's the inside humidity levels that count unless your tools live outside. My exterior humidity has been running 60%-90% over the last few months. Interior has been anywhere from 6%-14% over the same period. Today it's 60% outside and 10% inside. So any wooden handles for hammers or anything else that are loose should be about at there driest after 4 months of lower interior humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back