What's new
What's new

Text/Font design in CAD/CAM

Well, if we are going to :stirthepot: then both of you likely fail to realize just HOW LONG the United States has been metric.

I worked on dies that were drawn up by Baxter Pharmaceuticals and dimensions were in mm and inch and they were really old.

I have a beautiful Starrett 0-6" (0-150mm) micrometer set, carbide faces, that my grandfather purchased before either of you were born, because AMERICA WOULD BE METRIC. Apparently all the nazi's designing our rockets still designed everything in Metric, and NASA decided that everything would be metric. The company my grandfather worked at did a lot of US Govt work, and NASA was shocked at the quotes they were getting back. That was because the companies had to pay their draftsman to redraw all the prints, so all the workers could machine the parts, in inch, on their machines which were inch.

My grandfather was and still is the only person I have ever met who could convert inch to metric in his head, along with most trig and what not on the fly. He always chuckled at me pulling out a calculator to convert.

Along I came and served my apprenticeship at a metric shop. I was bi-lingual. He pulled out these NOS micrometers, with the packing grease still on the spindles, and sold them to me for what he paid brand new nearly 50 years before.

Irrelevant anecdote, but I still use those mics, and I cherish them just as much as anything in his Gerstner, whether it is Starrett or Lufkin, inch or metric.

"The U.S.A. received copies of the Imperial Standard Yard in 1856, but in 1890 they acquired thre platinum-iridium Prototype Metres (Nos. 12, 21, amd 27) and decided to adopt Prorotype No. 27 as the U.S. Primary Standard of Length, the Metre Standard having proved itself to be of better stability than the Yard Standard." - p9 Jig Boring, Connell

Two programs not yet mentioned…

StickFont I’ve found useful for some things related to engraving text.

Another program I bought years ago is called MillWrite. It’s actually a little cad/cam program for engraving. I never used it much but it was pretty well regarded by those that used it. I looked for it on the net the other day and it appears it may be free now.

I'm not entirely sure of your question, but I go to Dafant.com and download a TTF that is "single line font" that does not have a thickness or double line so to speak.

once you take it into Corel, Illustrator, inkscape who the hell cares what unit it was drawn in, all you have to do is stretch it to the size that fits then export it to a DXF\DWG to cut the damn thing, do this shit all the time putting logo and art work on parts for the CNC or laser cutter or for 3D Prints.

174225273.png

Back