What's new
What's new

Way O.T. How to Humanely Euthanize a Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck could a fella be searching in the archives for to come accrost this thing?
tsk.gif

I mentioned earlier, I think it's someone who googled, possibly the same question as the OP, and google found this thread. Then he didn't like what he read, and joined the site so he could put in his 2 cents.

I hope your kidding about the dogs, cause you'll be up on cruelty charges quicker than you can fart. Euthanasia is of Greek derivation basically means peaceful death. Referring to it as a thing is telling though, take the cat to the local shelter and PAY the reasonable fee! The solution used varies by manufacturer but basically consists of a strong barbiturate and K stop the heart and is not expensive.
I strongly suggest that after this you no longer associate yourself with domestic pets you clearly don't have what it takes, morally, or financially to be the guardian of an animal.

I have worked with animals as a critical care vet tech for 25++ years and have seen the aftermath people like you trying to save a few dollars and killing their animal at home, and ain't pretty mate.
Do the right thing. :nono: :mad5:

I wonder if you folks that think that taking them to the vet is less traumatic than dooing it yourself, are the folks that drop them off and leave and pay the vet to deal with the remains?

We took our 14 yr old to the vet for this purpose, and brought her home. There was nothing easy on us about it. She may have went peacefully to sleep, but 8 yrs later it is still tough. She was our first born and we loved her dearly. (Much less trouble than those dang kids!)

Had to doo it aggin 6 yrs later and I did that one myself w/o telling anyone. No loading him up and hauling him. Was just simply taking a nap and never seen me comming. He was in great pain. Not saying that that was easy either, but was no worse for sure. :bawling:

Kant imagine someone trying and failing to doo the job, and able to bring the animal in to the vet? What were they using? A butter knife? :crazy:

There have been a cpl that I just plain shot where they stood too, but they deserved it. (and I was much younger)

Still unsure what this thread hasta doo with a bunch of Chineese Kids?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For Christ's sake,take him to the vet instead of experimenting on ways to kill him. The pet was a faithful companion and THINKS you love him more than you love a few dollars.

I had a cat I had rescued some years before come crawling back home after being gone for 3 days. 3" hole in her side with ribs sticking out of it and crawling with worms. I HAD to empty a .22 pistol into her brain,and it WASN'T fun at all.I had to instantly put her out of her misery. But,it wasn't very instant looking. I didn't want her to suffer another hour getting her to the vet. There just wasn't time in her case,but there IS in yours. My pets all get taken to the vet when the time comes,and are given a decent burial at home,NOT thrown in a landfill.

I am not rich,but in the last month I had to spend $500.00 each on 2 cats. One got hit by a car and hip dislocated(lucky it wasn't more serious,he'll be o.k.) The other is a 14 year old female I got from the SPCA. I thought she was acting senile,but turned out was some sort of infection. She's better now.

Some people should not be allowed to have pets OR children. Take care of them if you're going to get them in the first place. It is your humane duty. Let the expert handle this.

I just saw the post on Tylenol suggested for Euth... NO WAY EVER !!!! Tylenol is toxic to cat as we already know, how ever the mechanism of action of drug or let us say the metabolic pathways that are affected and trauma that the cat goes through is torture. I have seen too many cases of Tylenol toxicity, usually due to owners that just don't know are trying to help, if the diagnosis isn't very made quickly the death is like smothering alive, cat will turn purple and severe facial and neck swelling will occur sometimes cutting off the air way slowly. Acetaminophen actually changes RBCs and forms a compound called met-hemoglobin which is incapable of carrying O2, so the cat basically becomes O2 depleted on a cellular level even though it is still breathing.
An AWFUL way to die.
We have been trying for years now to get the makers of Tylenol to place a one sentence warning of the toxic effect on felines; to no avail. I find frustrating and morally lacking on the Pharm Co., I will not use their product for this reason and also equally importantly it ain't so safe for people either, their are much safer NSAIDs on the market today.

I did this with a beloved dog. I think it was $35.

I've put an also-beloved cat down with a .22. She was in great pain. The .22 cured it. However that might be a bit traumatic for your daughter.

Just keep the animal's best experience in mind. For some pets a trip to the vet is pure terror. This was the case with the dog I had a vet come by to put down.

My brother had his dog put down at home by the vet. He came by on his way home, injected the dog, and left. It was significantly cheaper than having a vet do it on site at his vet hospital.

Not nec what you asked for, just another option you can consider.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back