What's new
What's new

Zgoo, Dan Lewis Machinery, Oregon

Where did you see the auction? I've tried to call him several time in the last week and never heard anything back.
Yeah, maybe one of us could buy that pristine SIP jig borer cheap enough to put it in our basement bar and poker room as conversation piece.

It's his loss, I already found another machine that I bought. I just saw him about 2-3 weeks ago at his new shop, but never heard back from him again.

I just found this, it's his warehouse address.

Auction Huge Machine and Tool Auction
Interesting that a few of the nicer machines aren't mentioned in the ad but at least two of them are visible in the "whole shop" photos... a blue Monarch 10ee and what may be an Ibarmia drill press. Don't see the pristine white SIP anywhere, maybe it's outside under a Walmart blue tarp ! :eek:

That's only about 1/3 of the shop, there is a whole other side to it, and where he took that picture there is more behind him as well. I COMPLETELY missed the Monarch 10EE when I was there...I will be there for the auction to get some tooling and see if I can get that Monarch. There was a nice Logan there when I was there, it came from a University, it looked almost brand new.

He sold the monarch, it's just being stored, there is a lot of stuff not for sale there. I was there the other day, but there is also a bunch of really good stuff and I'm going for sure

He sold the monarch, it's just being stored, there is a lot of stuff not for sale there. I was there the other day, but there is also a bunch of really good stuff and I'm going for sure
Ok, so why the auction ?

When I spoke to Dan, I got the impression that he needs to move alot of machines to free up space - sounded like he had a bunch more coming in at that time.
Sounds highly suspect to me. Unless he hates paying taxes so much that he feels the need to loose money to reduce next years tax burden ! Or maybe he's a trust fund baby playing machinery dealer for something to do and just bored with looking at the current inventory. I actually knew a machinery dealer like that once....reminds me of the old joke about how to make a million in the boat business... "first, get two million...then..." ;)

I have seen a few machinery dealers over the years liquidate the lower end of their inventory at auction. It can be a quick sale for those items, and get them some cash so they can hold out a bit longer on the higher dollar item sales. I don't know this fellow, but it sounds like that could be the case.

Milacron... I was a boat builder for many years and had a boat repair yard later for quite awhile too. The saying you mentioned is pretty true and we usually repeated it as "You know how to make a small fortune in the boat business? Start with a large one."

It is generally a pretty true saying, I unfortunately didn't get to start with a large one, so I had to work hard and eke out a living as so many of us do in these trades. Oh well, maybe next time.

I too spoke to Dan recently and he indicated a recent purchase of a batch of lathes and mills , so I guess the auction his way of making more room quickly .
Right, so he can eventually auction off the "batch" and loose money on those too ;) Funny, when people need money, they never admit they need money... it's always "space" they need...LOL

"Funny, when people need money, they never admit they need money... it's always "space" they need...LOL".

You are right, --M--. Federal Government never says "We need Money". And to prove it they put VMC's, CMM's, tool room lathes, etc it the rain to rust.

j

maybe he's a trust fund baby playing machinery dealer for something to do
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. :-) I met Dan when he was still working out of a bunch of rental storage bays. I am not privy to his business dealings, but it's certainly possible that the rent of his new location hasn't been matched by increased sales.

Of the three used machine tool dealers I've met personally in the Portland area, Dan's the one I would not call eccentric.

I will be very interested in the auction preview this week.

Last edited:
Man my ears are burning LOL

Here is the skinny on this auction...

I was renting for 5 years and decided to buy a large building 5 min from my house instead of 20 miles at the old location. I had some tenants move out so I just filled up about 18,000 sf with shop stuff( Man, what was I thinking LOL) I buy equipment from 1 machine to a whole shop. I get tons of small tools, machines, shop supplies, and stuff I don't even know what it is...but I think some one might be able to use so we store it away and now it's time to free up a lot of space and make room for two more semi full of cool machines ( Rivett 608, Rivett 1020, Okuma, Bridgeports, and Bridgeport Series 2 Special). Not going out of business just selling a lot of cool stuff at what ever some one will pay,,,,, I would like to say I don't need the money, but little change in the pocket is a good thing. Large all day auction, hope to see a few there....Dan

Man my ears are burning LOL

Here is the skinny on this auction...

I was renting for 5 years and decided to buy a large building 5 min from my house instead of 20 miles at the old location. I had some tenants move out so I just filled up about 18,000 sf with shop stuff( Man, what was I thinking LOL) I buy equipment from 1 machine to a whole shop. I get tons of small tools, machines, shop supplies, and stuff I don't even know what it is...but I think some one might be able to use so we store it away and now it's time to free up a lot of space and make room for two more semi full of cool machines ( Rivett 608, Rivett 1020, Okuma, Bridgeports, and Bridgeport Series 2 Special). Not going out of business just selling a lot of cool stuff at what ever some one will pay,,,,, I would like to say I don't need the money, but little change in the pocket is a good thing. Large all day auction, hope to see a few there....Dan
FWIW, when I sell my building I'm going to have to have an auction just to get everything out quick for whoever buys it. I'll keep some stuff...like Schablin 135 lathe, couple of Deckel mills, Alzmetall drill press, some woodworking machines, but 15,000 sq ft of all else will have to go. The funny part is I won't half care what it sells for as it would be so nice just to be rid of machines and tooling that have been sitting around, never even advertised, for almost a decade in some cases. Of course I care some, but if it sold high would just be that much more in taxes owed on it.

Bottom line is a sort of warning to perhaps be more selective in what you buy. Unless you have an ex Reliable "listing expert" on your staff, it can get overwhelming when you have too much low dollar stuff. Since it's about the same effort to write ad copy for a $20,000 machine as it is a $2,000 one I tended to ignore the lesser iron and tooling and now it's all piled up to overwhelming amounts.

As an aside "filled up" can be relative to ceiling heights and efficiency of placement. My building appears "filled up"...but not really....lots of wasted space...never have assembled and used any of the pallet racking I've had for years. I'll bet I could get it all into half that space if the pallet rack was actually used....and less still if I had overhead crane.

Don,

If you have any toolroom machines that fall under the,don't half care what they bring area(wink), i would be interested.Later Jason.

Don,

If you have any toolroom machines that fall under the,don't half care what they bring area(wink), i would be interested.Later Jason.
Well, the paradox is that I care what they bring up until the point of building sale and auction. The reason is I will need some good stuff to attract bidders to the auction. I said I didn't half care, after all..
Half of me does care that it isn't a complete disaster ;)

Milacron

Back